Questions? Comments? Complaints?

Saturday, June 26, 2010

Scripped and Spike TV -- Not for me.

While winding down for the night, I decided to look up the rules/terms of the Scripped and Spike TV pilot contest. The best part is Exhibit "A" Assignment of Rights.

It's gotta be a joke. Go read it. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll shake your head. They spent well over $2,000 (amount of grand prize) drafting that piece of legalese. Clever. Shakes my faith in the industry. Oh, wait. I didn't have any faith to begin with...nowhere to go but up, right?

The sad part, lots of people will submit their work and pay the $20 or $40 to do so, then blindly click the "I've read and agree to these terms" button.

I'll hang onto my money, my rights AND my scripts.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same moral dilemma, but if you read even closer, every submission except for the winner retains their rights. I guess just get a good legal team =p
    And if you do win, well atleast you get 2k and the bragging rights if they don't let you go further with it.

    ReplyDelete