Questions? Comments? Complaints?

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Writing, writing & writing

In addition to writing my scripts and my academic work, I'm now teaching myself how to write Web code. I'm starting with the easy-to-learn html and CSS, then I'll later be incorporating PHP and MySQL. It's a different type of writing but there is a certain creativity that comes into play that reminds me that even though the words I'm writing are wrapped up in code, they are no less my words.

What's gratifying about writing Web code is that I can upload new code and see the results, both good and bad, of my labor instantly. Live on the World Wide stage. It has become my new hobby, a way to distract me from my thesis, a way to kill time that feels more productive than video games, a 2-star TV movie, or social media.

My first Web site is quite simple, a compilation of all of graduate core class syllabi reading lists that I used to study for comps. You can check it out: www.AcademicBib.com and while it's still pretty rough, there's a ton of bibliographic information already posted. What's particularly handy are the links on books to Amazon (it helps to see the book reviews to refresh the memory) or to JSTOR for the research articles. I'm currently posting American Government bibliographies and then International Relations will be next. After that, I'll work on Public Policy. We'll see where it goes from there.

I never thought of computer code as actual writing until I started doing it. Now I know it's a creative endeavor on par with creating stories and memorable characters. It requires much of the same planning, a similar mindset and drive to complete the project. It requires outlining, drafting, rewriting, editing and problem-solving. Building a site raises many of the same questions and doubts as writing a script: "Will people one day appreciate my work?"

But I'll leave the philosophical questions for others to ponder while I continue writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment