Questions? Comments? Complaints?

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Scripts I want to read

It occurred to me a few days ago that, while I read a ton of scripts, I may not be reading the scripts that will best teach me how to get noticed in Hollywood. Sure, reading classics and works of the greatest screenwriters out there today are great ways to improve at the craft of writing screenplays, but these scripts were written by some at the height of their careers. What about reading those scripts that got an unknown noticed? What was it about those early works that caught a reader's eye and sent the script up the chain to be purchased and developed?

I took the question to one of my best Twitter partners-in-crime, @tracinell, who started getting the feelers out there to our online screenwriting community. It's been an interesting few days. Two scripts came up immediately, Juno by Diablo Cody, and Little Miss Sunshine by Michael Arndt. Beyond those two, I then pulled up the analysis of spec sales in 2009 by Scott Myers from Go Into the Story. For 2009, Scott had listed 67 sold scripts. I looked up each of the screenwriters listed to see how many of those were first time sales for the writer. The time-consuming task between the list and IMDbPro was an eye-opener. Here are my rough observations:
  • By my loose criteria, maybe 11 of these scripts were from first time, unconnected writers. 
  • Many of the scripts purchased were written by teams. While one may be a newcomer, the other was generally well connected which eliminated them from my list. 
  • That's about 17% of sales.
  • Many of the sold scripts were topping that year's Black List.
  • Once someone sold ONE script, several others followed quickly. This is important. Have an arsenal of material. When you're hot, you're hot.
  • Finding those first scripts to read isn't an easy task. Even back from 2009 sales, many of those films are still in development or in production making those scripts scarce.
I'll get to later years' analyses, but for now I'm letting 2009 sink it. Not the greatest news for unconnected writers but it's also encouraging: It does happen. Now it's just a matter of working on the craft to up those odds.

TWS

No comments:

Post a Comment