Questions? Comments? Complaints?

Monday, September 12, 2011

#BrutallyHonest Feedback

If you follow me on Twitter, you may already know about my random nights of #brutallyhonest feedback. What is this? On a night when I have little desire to do my own work, I will tweet that I'm open to reading scripts and giving feedback. What's the catch?

Yeah, there's a catch. Of course. I have criteria:

  • 30 min. TV comedy pilots only.

Yes, that's right. No features. No outlines. No treatments. No napkin notes or index cards. No specs. And the kicker is that I usually get everyone their feedback that same night. Not always, but usually. No waiting for a week with ulcers developing and festering. No gnashing of teeth or desperate tweets for days on end. It's fast and it's free.

But, it's brutal.

I make it a point to live up to the hype. I don't care who you are, you're getting feedback. You're going to hear things that no one else will tell you. This is not for the weak. Not for the young. Not for the shithead who would scribble out a rough draft and send it off to a prod. co. like he's the Second Coming. If you think your writing is all that, then keep your crap and don't waste my time. I'm going to tell you exactly where and why you lost me, what your biggest problems are, and where you let down your reader. I will point out your cheap shots, your weakest areas and your grammar screw ups that make you look stupid. By time I'm done with you, I am quite sure you'll feel like shit. At the very minimum, you'll be embarrassed that you sent me the pile of kindling you called a script. 

Better me than that fat executive you almost sent the piece of shit to. 

I don't have a regular schedule for #brutallyhonest feedback. You'll have to watch for the hashtag. Make sure you read the criteria. It does say comedy, right? You have to make me laugh. That's about all I get out of this.

TWS

No comments:

Post a Comment